This post may contain affiliate links, read our full disclosure here.
Before doing research on lactation cookies, I was a non-believer. How could cookies possibly get your milk supply up other than the fact they increased your calorie count? After reading reviews of various recipes, I had to know what was the secret to these cookies.
Turns out, lactation cookies are made with a couple key ingredients that boost milk supply. Things like brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, flax seed, and whole oats combine to make a nutrient-dense snack that’s awesome for milk production. According to Parenting.com, “
- Brewer’s yeast, most commonly known for its use in the production of beer, contains iron, protein, B vitamins, chromium, selenium, and various other trace minerals. Not only does it promote milk supply, but it’s also believed to help with fatigue and the “baby blues.”
- Wheat germ is beneficial because it contains zinc, which is a must for breastfeeding. Zinc aids the immune system and even helps to protect cracked nipples, a common occurrence when breastfeeding. Like brewer’s yeast, it is also believed to help with postpartum depression.
- Oats are another must for breastfeeding mothers. They are high in fiber and full of iron, protein and complex carbohydrates. Low levels of iron in the body can actually reduce milk supply.
- Flaxseed has good fats and enzymes, which are important for increasing the content of breast milk. “
That’s the science behind it, but does it work? Most definitely! Breastfeeding moms can see an increase of milk supply of at least a single feeding after consuming lactation cookies. If eating cookies were beneficial, count me in!
Ready for a boost? Check out these 11 yummy lactation cookie recipes to instantly increase your milk supply!
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Courtesy The Best Ideas for Kids
Salted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip with Butterscotch
Courtesy The Baker Chick
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Courtesy How Sweet Eats
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Courtesy Life with My Littles
Carrot Cake Cookies
Courtesy A Healthy Slice of Life
- 20+ Genius Dollar Store Kitchen Organization Hacks You’d Wish You Knew Sooner
- 12 Easy Bubble Tea Recipes to Satisfy All Your Boba Needs
- 16 Expensive Looking DIY Recycled Organizing Ideas That Cost Absolutely Nothing
- 8 Cleansing Juice Detox Recipes That Don’t Taste Like Crap
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Courtesy Premeditated Leftovers
Apple Cinnamon Cookies
Courtesy Premeditated Leftovers
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
Courtesy Simplistically Living
No Bake Chocolate Almond Cookies
Courtesy small + friendly
Vegan Lactation Cookies (Gluten Free)
Courtesy Thrifty Nifty Mom
Breastfeeding doesn’t have to be difficult. I highly recommend this video for moms who may need some help with correct latching technique. Her other prenatal videos are awesome, check them out if you don’t have time to attend a class!
More awesome posts for moms!
- 6 Awesome Places to Get Free Baby Stuff
- 22 Tasty Lactation Recipes for Breastfeeding Moms to Increase Milk Supply
- 14 Ingenious DIY Baby Proofing Home Hacks Every Parent Needs to Know
- 8 Genius Postpartum DIY Hacks Every New Moms Has to Know
- 24 Thirst Quenching Mommy Virgin Cocktail Recipes for Pregnant and Nursing Moms