This post may contain affiliate links, read our full disclosure here.
Dr. Oz is among one of many doctors and nutritionists who has touted the use of lemon water in aiding weight loss. A glass of warm lemon water in the morning (before coffee), increases saliva output which in turn, improves digestion and metabolism. You can give your metabolism an additional boost by getting into the habit of chewing your food slower.
But remember, as with any weight loss hack, detox water should be used as an aid and only an aid to your overall workout and dieting plan. Simply drinking detox water and not doing anything else is not a cure-all for weight loss.
However, with exercise and an awesome diet plan, detox water can help you reach your weight loss goals. It’ll also help clear your skin, boost your metabolism, and detoxify your body. An improvement in energy and focus are two things you can expect to experience when you begin to increase your water intake.
Making your own DIY detox water is easy and only requires a bit of patience as you allow time for the fruits to infuse your water, preferably overnight. Here are some things you can include in your water:
- Lemon – I always try to include lemon (or another type of citrus) in my detox regimen for its slimming properties.
- Berries – This could include basic berries like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries to more unique/seasonal ones like cranberries.
- Herbs like mint, tarragon, basil, and thyme.
- Chia seeds – Protein, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, iron, and calcium – what more could you ask for?
- Cucumbers and watermelon – The hydrating fruits that keep on giving.
- Pomegranate – Eat the seeds whole for the added fiber.
- Ginger – Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fruits – Anything from apples to pineapples to peaches. Munch on them after for a healthy midday snack.
- Green tea – We all know and love green tea for its metabolism boosting abilities. Steep a bag in your water for an energizing boost with no crash attached.
- Vegetables – I know, you’re probably saying… vuh-vuh-vegetables? I was pretty hesitant myself until I came across a couple bloggers who added carrots to their detox water. Well, I gave it a shot and it actually wasn’t all that bad. Besides carrots, I think celery would work really well too.
So go ahead and throw a few of your favorite fruits in a pitcher and take a look at some detox water recipes below for more inspiration!
Detox Spa Water
Courtesy The Skinny Fork
You can’t go wrong with this classic detox recipe. Cucumber is ultra-hydrating and a great anti-inflammatory on its own, but when combined with immune-boosting lemon and digestion powering mint, it packs a powerful punch. Prepare your water in a Voss bottle for a super cute way to stay hydrated.
Strawberry and Orange Detox
Courtesy Simple Vegan Blog
If you’re like me and struggle to drink the necessary 8 glasses of water a day, try this flavorful blend of strawberries, orange, and mint.
Raspberry Lemon Water
Courtesy Nutrition Twins
Feel your very best as you crunch through workouts with this antioxidant raspberry and lemon blend.
Pomegranate Tarragon Detox
Courtesy Scaling Back Blog
Pomegranates are an amazing superfood that most of us don’t eat too often. These little guys are great at regulating metabolism and detoxifying the body. Plus, you can munch on the seeds and get all the fiber benefits.
Courtesy Food Lovin Family
Watermelon, cucumber, and mint is a favorite detox combo of mine, combining not one, but two hydrating fruits!
Cranberry Orange Detox
Courtesy Well and Full
Cranberries are another great source of antioxidants. Infuse them with blood oranges for an immediate slimming boost.
Orange Kiwi Detox
Courtesy She Uncovered
Try this tropical detox water to help you breeze through your day. Kiwi is a great source of potassium, which is awesome news if you’re prone to work out cramps.
I hope I’ve given you good reasons to stay away from sugary drinks while still pursuing hydration. Trust me, you’ll feel so much better after just a week of eliminating added sugar from your diet. Track your weight loss journey to celebrate every win, no matter how small.
For more on healthy living and weight loss, check out these posts!
- 7 Genius Hacks to Survive a Sugar Detox – and Why You NEED to Go on One
- 23 Delicious and Easy Keto Recipes Designed to Help You Lose Weight FAST
- 17 Energizing Smoothie Bowl Recipes That Are Almost Too Dreamy to Eat
- 30 Delicious and Healthy Meal Prep Recipes That’ll Get You Pumped for Fitness
- 8 Cleansing Juice Detox Recipes That Don’t Taste Like Crap